Hexenmapper has been working on some monster replacements for Heretic and posting them in the HUMP discord server.
asked if I could use them, since I want to make an expanded ‘Doom 2′
style monster roster for Heretic and he’s already made an Arch Vile type
creature. He said yes, because he’s a really cool person.
I’m going to walk you through the inside of a simple monster replacer mod. Let’s have a look at what sort of stuff is inside…
1) First I’ll have to open SLADE, so I can rummage around the data file.
2) Then I’ll find my data file. Luckily I keep everything well organized…
3) Here’s what the inside of a Doom (or Heretic, or Hexen, or Strife…) wad file looks like:
4) This is the DECORATE file. Decorate is a language added to sourceports that let’s you create new monsters and effects without much technical know-how. Pictured below is an Arch Vile type monster that resurrects enemies
5) Hexenmapper has been hard at work; every non-Boss in Heretic is now replaced by an identical copy with a resurrection animation (their death animation played backwards). Because the other two new monsters replace Heretic’s ‘ghost’ enemies, those monsters’ resurrectable versions are disabled (but can easily be turned back on)
6) Let’s have a look at the graphics for the new Yuan-Ti Monsters. As you can see, it’s a “Frankensprite” of the Ophidian and the Brown Chaos Serpent enemies.
7) The side view had some sprite tearing I thought. However, other views of the Yuan Ti are very well done.
8) Holy cow, that’s how it attacks? That lightning attack looks cool as hell
9) The Arch Vile type monster is a smaller version of Hexen’s Korax
10) The third new monster is an Archer, based on the Hexen II enemy. This is from Realm 667 and modified from the existing Archer resource.
11) The Credits List
So for reference:
DECORATE contains the programming for the monsters (health, movement, properties, lists of sprites to use for each animation cycle, etc)
SNDINFO is ‘sound information’ which assigns labels to the sound files so that the Decorate file can tell the game which sounds to play
GLDEFS tells the game to light up the area around monsters when they’re using their magic attacks
The rest is sound and graphics data that get used by DECORATE and SNDINFO.
Will I use it? In a modified form, probably.
I was thinking of using the Korax sprite for a boss monster so I might change swap the graphics. I certainly can’t ignore the work put into making each Heretic monster resurrectable though!
I think the archer would make a good “shotgun sergeant”, perhaps if I made their attack more like an ethereal crossbow attack.
I may have already put in a monster that does what the Yuan-ti does, so that one might not be used.