I’ve been tinkering with ZDoom for years. After taking part in HUMP, I wanted to make more Heretic levels but wasn’t happy with the limited texture variety and enemy roster. I started making little edits to Heretic and trying to create a ‘toolset’ that would allow me to build maps without any of the issues that people have with Heretic. It started off with adding textures from Hexen, then tweaks to the monsters… very slowly it turned into an actual mod. I’ve started and stopped mapping for Heretic a few times, never happy with the designs I’ve come up with. It looked like the most recent map was going to go the same way, but I’ve turned it around and managed to tweak the layout into something I’m happy with. I’ve also locked down the features I want in the mod, making it officially a mod and not a universal toolset for Heretic mapping.
There is a new player character and I’ve gone through a few designs. First was a grouchy but good-hearted witch, then a powerful half-demon sorceress, but the current design is an older and more sinister witch.
- The player is now a new character (the grand witch) with new graphics and sounds
Health & Armour
- Armour system changed to match Doom (less generous than Heretic; 33%/50% damage resistance)
- Added Life Sphere (+100HP up to 200HP, instant use powerup)
- Replaced Enchanted Shield with Amulet of Warding (200% armour, same effects as Mega Armour)
- Added herbs (+1HP pickups, heals up to 200HP)
- Replaced Quartz Flask with large health potions (+25hp, instant use)
Weapons & Ammo
- Staff has been replaced with a short ranged “Zap!” attack
- Tome of Power turns zap red and does more damage
- Amber wand replaced with the lavender staff (100% accuracy, but fires a fast projectile instead of a hit scan attack)
- Large dragon claw pickups give more ammo
- Ammo maximums have been increased for some weapons (dragon claw, firemace)
- The hellstaff projectile is now 33% smaller
- The firemace always spawns
- The empowered firemace has been replaced. It now fires a triple shot at no extra ammo cost.
- Dragon claw graphic and sounds have been replaced
- Incorporated the fixed firemace graphics from the Heretic minor sprite fixing project
Power-Ups & Inventory
- Added lore items which shed more light on the story when they are picked up
- Quartz Flasks have been replaced with instant use large health potions
- Morph Ovum has been replaced with Dog Mode
- Chaos Device replaced with Boots of Protection (Rad Suit)
- Time Bomb of the Ancients replaced with a much more effective Poison Flechette
- Life Sphere replaces the Mystic Urn (same effects as Soul Sphere)
- Flight, invulnerability, dog mode, invisibility, large health potions and Life Sphere are instant use power ups (Map, backpack, torch, tome of power are unaffected)
- New graphics for Flight and Invulnerability power-ups (all instant use power-ups are now held in orbs/spheres)
- Only one torch, tome of power, or boots power-up can be held at any time. Up to 20 flechettes can be held.
- All non-boss enemies from Heretic can now be resurrected
- All non-boss enemies from Heretic except the Weredragon have had their HP reduced by 10%-25%
- The Weredragon’s attack now takes an two extra tics (reducing attack speed by 20%)
- Replaced ImpLeader and MummyLeader with Black Imp and Hobgoblin (same concept, new graphics and sounds)
- The Iron Lich no longer summons tornedos but gains a spirit summoning attack.
- New Monster: Cultist (weak human, fires projectiles and drops wand ammo)
- New Monster: Knight Archer (slightly less weak human, fires projectiles and drops crossbow ammo)
- New Monster: Bloodclaw (stronger and faster version of the Saberclaw)
- New Monster: Demon Prince (acts similar to a Cyberdemon)
- New Monster: Tall Man (fast stealth monster, fires rapid fire projectiles and occasionally resurrects monsters)
- New Monster: Bloodied Lich (resurrects enemies and performs an Arch-Vile attack; has less HP than an Arch-Vile but releases a hostile ghost on death)
- Added Reiver from Hexen (slightly modified, no vampiric melee attack)
- Added Wendigo from Hexen
- Added Ettin from Hexen
- Added Chaos Serpent from Hexen (10% size increase and slight increase in HP)
- Added Slaughtaur from Hexen (more aggressive AI, lower HP and significantly reduced shield time)
- Blood Claw, Reiver, Ettin, Chaos Serpent, and Slaughtaur can be resurrected (but not Tall Man, Bloodied Lich or Demon Prince)
- Added pigs and chickens as NPCs. They don’t do anything.
- Monsters no longer drop items except for the Cultist and Knight enemies.
- There is currently one map (E1M1) but the plan is to release 20 maps in four or five mini-episodes set in new locations.